American School Hong Kong (ASHK), a non-profit, college preparatory international school located in Tai Po in the New Territories, opened in 2016 for students from Kindergarten (age 5) to Grade 6. The Middle School division (Grade 7 and 8) was added in 2017. In 2019, ASHK will open our first High School class with the adoption of a Grade 9 program.
English is the language of instruction and communication at the school. The US Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards will provide the framework for learning. Teachers will integrate a ‘STEAM’ program (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics) in the Elementary and Middle School divisions. The International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IBDP) will be available for High School students beginning in 2021.
Visual Arts Teacher (Part Time 20%)
Teacher Job Description
The teacher will be employed in a part time capacity with an assignment equal to 20% of a full time teacher’s contract. The teacher is expected to teach up to 6 X 40 minute periods per week. The likely assignment will be 3 periods of an early primary grade level clustered in a morning or afternoon on two different days of the week.
The Teacher will perform all duties associated with his/her position at such times and places as the School Director and Principal may direct. The School Director and Principal will determine the Teacher’s specific duties through reasonable reference to the School’s needs and the Teacher’s qualifications and experience.
- To support the philosophy and pedagogical approach used by the School and to become thoroughly familiar with the curriculum associated with each teaching assignment;
- To work and plan collaboratively with visual arts colleagues in the development of course outlines and curriculum units;
- To develop and maintain daily lesson plans;
- To shape instruction appropriately so that it effectively motivates, inspires and challenges students;
- To demonstrate variety and flexibility with teaching strategies in order to address individual student needs and learning styles;
- To use a rich array of assessment tools and strategies that are aligned with the curriculum plan and pedagogical approach;
- To evaluate all assessments in a timely manner and to provide constructive oral and/or written feedback to students;
- To maintain detailed and accurate assessment records;
- To prepare progress reports on each student at regular intervals as specified by the Principal;
- To participate in the Orientation Program that precedes the start of the school year;
- To communicate regularly with parents and to prepare for and attend all scheduled parent-teacher conferences;
- To perform supervision duties as assigned by the Principal at places such as the School’s playgrounds, hallways, cafeteria;
- To assume a shared responsibility for pastoral care and the social and emotional welfare of students in the School.
Requirements for Teaching Positions
Professional Teacher Qualification (B Ed. M Ed. PGDE)
At least two years relevant teaching experience
Preferred Skills and Experience
International School experience
Demonstrated use of technology in teaching practice
Demonstrated commitment to leading co-curricular activities
A positive, caring, collaborative team player
Expression of interest
One-page statement of educational philosophy
Current CV with photograph
Letters of Reference and the contact details of three supervisors (at least one who is current)
Please submit all documents in a single PDF file to email@example.com
Personal data collected will be used for recruitment purpose only. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted