ASHK is operated by Esol Education, the world’s largest operator of international American schools, with 40 years of expertise in establishing and operating international schools worldwide. ASHK opened in September 2016 with Kindergarten to Grade 6. ASHK added Middle School classes in 2017 and our High School program will begin in 2019 with the introduction of a grade 9 class. Grades 10 - 12 will be offered one year at a time beginning with grade 10 in 2020.
Upper Elementary and Middle/High School Music Teacher
In the upper elementary division, the teacher will lay a foundation for a life-long love of, and appreciation for music by introducing basic melodic and rhythmic concepts, instrument types and families, vocal posture and breathing, and numerous other topics and skills. In the middle/high school division the teacher will build upon the foundation established in the elementary grades. Students will continue to learn singing techniques, music theory, aural skills and will also participate in ensembles and a band program.
In addition to their teaching duties, the teacher will oversee after-school rehearsals offering appropriate instruction and advice on ways students can improve.
Duties and Experience Specific to the Position of Music Teacher:
- Be qualified and confident to teach music to students in grade 2 - 9
- Teach to the standards of excellence expected from an international school
- Be able to specialise in one instrument and be able to guide beginners in others
- Be familiar working in a variety of styles including popular, classical and world music
- Be passionate and willing to work as part of a team in the staging of musical events including annual concerts and musical theatre productions
- Be prepared to promote excellence in all aspects of the arts, particularly music
- Have experience and enthusiasm for working with brass and woodwind bands and other small-group ensembles (i.e. jazz)
- Be willing and able to introduce a strings program if interest amongst the students is generated
- Possess an ability to foster and promote a love of and enthusiasm for performance
- Possessing piano accompanying skills would be advantageous
Requirements for Teaching Positions
- University/College Degree
- Professional Teacher Qualification (B Ed. M Ed. PGDE)
- At least two years relevant teaching experience
Preferred Skills and Experience
- International School experience
- Demonstrated use of technology in teaching practice
- Demonstrated commitment to leading co-curricular activities
- A positive, caring, collaborative team player
- Expression of interest
- One-page statement of educational philosophy
- Current CV with photograph
- Letters of Reference and the contact details of three supervisors (at least one who is current)
Please submit all documents in a single PDF file to email@example.com
Personal data collected will be used for recruitment purpose only. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.