ASHK is operated by Esol Education, the world’s largest operator of international American schools, with 40 years of expertise in establishing and operating international schools worldwide. ASHK opened in September 2016 with Kindergarten to Grade 6. ASHK added Middle School classes in 2017 and our High School program will begin in 2019 with the introduction of a grade 9 class. Grades 10 - 12 will be offered one year at a time beginning with grade 10 in 2020.
Lower Elementary Music Teacher/Music Educational Assistant
In the lower elementary division, the teacher will lay a foundation for a life-long love of, and appreciation for music by introducing basic melodic and rhythmic concepts, instrument types and families, vocal posture and breathing, and numerous other topics and skills. In addition to their teaching duties, the teacher will oversee after-school choir rehearsals offering appropriate instruction and advice on ways students can improve.
We anticipate that this position will grow from a current ratio of 20% teaching and 80% educational assistant to an eventual full-time teaching position.
Duties and Experience Specific to the Position of Music Teacher/Music Educational Assistant:
- Be qualified and confident to teach music to students in KG - grade 1
- Teach to the standards of excellence expected from an international school
- Be passionate and willing to work as part of a team in the staging of musical events including annual concerts and musical theatre productions
- Be prepared to promote excellence in all aspects of the arts, particularly music
- Be willing and able to introduce a strings program if interest amongst the students is generated
- Possess an ability to foster and promote a love of and enthusiasm for performance
- Plan collaboratively with teachers in the development of curriculum units and lesson plans
- Prepare lesson materials, bulletin board displays, exhibits, equipment, and demonstrations in collaboration with the teacher
- Support the music teacher with instruction in the classroom
- Assume a shared responsibility for pastoral care and the social and emotional welfare of students in the school
- Observe and monitor students' performance, record relevant data to assess academic progress and provide feedback to the teacher
Requirements for Teaching Positions
- University/College Degree
- Professional Teacher Qualification (B Ed. M Ed. PGDE)
- At least two years relevant teaching experience
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Possessing piano accompanying skills would be advantageous
- International School experience
- Demonstrated use of technology in teaching practice
- Demonstrated commitment to leading co-curricular activities
- A positive, caring, collaborative team player
- Expression of interest
- One-page statement of educational philosophy
- Current CV with photograph
- Letters of Reference and the contact details of three supervisors (at least one who is current)
Please submit all documents in a single PDF file to email@example.com
Personal data collected will be used for recruitment purpose only. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.