ASHK is operated by Esol Education, the world’s largest operator of international American schools, with 40 years of expertise in establishing and operating international schools worldwide. ASHK opened in September 2016 with Kindergarten to Grade 6. ASHK added Middle School classes in 2017 and our High School program will begin in 2019 at our Tai Po Campus in Hong Kong.
Elementary & Middle School EAL Teacher
At ASHK, students who are learning English as an additional language (EAL) are supported by EAL specialist teachers who carry out the mission of the school while providing targeted instruction for English language development.
We provide a challenging American and International program at ASHK. In regards to this, our instruction focuses on Academic Language. We teach language objectives that match content objectives in the classroom. We are members of the WIDA International School Consortium, which provides us access to a network of schools and an abundance of resources and assessment materials. We conduct diagnostic assessments upon entry and yearly assessments to measure growth in English proficiency, in addition to the ongoing formative assessments to measure progress.
Inclusive Access to Curriculum
We believe in empowering students. In order to accomplish this in our program, we believe access to grade-level curriculum is vital for our students. All students at ASHK are provided with the same quality of rigorous education. Our program provides language instruction and supports to students learning English. We work in classes through various co-teaching models as well as out of class in targeted pull-out classes based on student need.
As we work to form independent critical thinkers and responsible global citizens, we provide support in the form of scaffolds. Like scaffolding, our supports are flexible, temporary, and based on need. EAL supports are provided throughout a learner’s day whether they are with an EAL specialist, their classroom teachers, or other educators. Like all good scaffolds, they are intended to be removed when no longer needed based on English proficiency.
Students at ASHK will go on to study and have careers in a variety of fields. To promote excellence, EAL teachers plan collaboratively with content area teachers to ensure objectives and rigor are met whether the student is in or out of the classroom.
For 2019/20 this position is split between meeting the needs of Elementary and Middle School EAL students.
Requirements for Teaching Positions
- University/College Degree
- Professional Teacher Qualification (B Ed. M Ed. PGDE)
- TESL, TEFL or TESL certification or degree
- At least two years relevant ESL or EAL teaching experience
Preferred Skills and Experience
- At least two years relevant experience in an International School setting
- Experience with the development and implementation of a comprehensive school EAL program which includes both an integrated and withdrawal component, individual student planning, responsive services and system support
- Working knowledge of and experience with WIDA
- A sensitivity to the development stages and well-being of English Language Learners (ELLs)
- The ability to work with a diversity of individuals and groups
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated use of technology in teaching practice
- Demonstrated commitment to leading co-curricular activities
- A positive, caring, collaborative team player
- Expression of interest
- One-page statement of educational philosophy
- Current CV with photograph
- Letters of Reference and the contact details of three supervisors (at least one who is current)
Please submit all documents in a single PDF file to email@example.com
Personal data collected will be used for recruitment purpose only. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.